Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Lavender Honey

As a dyeing novice, I don't always get the results I want. I recently dyed eight ounces of polwarth top in shades of purple and yellow. My plan was to dye each two-ounce strip of fiber in a long gentle gradient from a deep to a pale shade. I would then spin each strip into a singles, and ply together the two different purples into one yarn and the two subtly different yellows into another. Then I was going to make a bright and springtimey colorwork scarf.

After carefully measuring out ten different strengths of each dye and painting them onto the fiber, here's what I got:

Dyed Polwarth

Not quite what I was looking for! Not only is one of the "yellows" a very bright orange, but the long and gentle gradients I had in mind did not work out. Dismayed, I let the project lie dormant for a while until I hit upon the idea of blending the colors on handcards. After a little carding, spinning, and knitting, I came up with a fancy little swatch.



I love this tweedy blend of purple and yellow. It makes me think of Proven├žal pottery at my favorite breakfast place in Berkeley. I've started blending up the rolags, and will update as the project goes on.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, the finished result looks so different from the dyed roving! I love the effect. What do you think you'll make with it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking of a slouchy beret or some sort. The fabric is actually pretty subtle and neutral despite the colors that went into it...should be a nice alternative to my various loud and crazy hats.

    ReplyDelete