Saturday, July 16, 2011

Pour un maillot jaune

Spinning! I'm still doing it, every single day! With two spindle projects complete, I started in on the third, purple BFL from Fiber Optic. After one day of working on this fiber, I was here.

photo
This is of course on top of all the progress that had been made on this fiber that is from MDSW 2010.

I took a side trip to ply the cashgora/silk yarn that was one of my original goals. You can see the little disk up in the corner here.

photo

That little disk of yarn was a bit of a disaster. I think I didn't wind the silk and cashgora onto the spindle tightly enough before plying (I was plying using the traditional Orenburg method, which I may henceforth forsake entirely). When I started plying, the yarn slid up the spindle and started felting to itself and tangling up at the top. I fought with it as long as I could, but ultimately I had to throw some amount of the fiber away. I think I plied more than half of the fiber, maybe even 3/4 of it. It's sad, but there are always a couple of crashes in the Tour de Fleece.

Richard Move, Car Bro Gif - Richard Move, Car Bro


I've moved on from the crashgora (see what I did there?). I finished the first cop of the purple BFL, with 2 ounces of fiber on the spindle, which is a personal best.

photo

A few days later, another cop joined it.

photo

Last night, I plied, and the resulting yarn is just under 400 yards of light fingering weight. I'm in love with it, I must say. I'm open to pattern suggestions at this point, but I'm thinking a simple-ish shawlette.

photo

With my three spindle projects complete, I can't believe it, but my spindles are empty!

photo

No spindle stays empty for long, however, because I just acquired a couple of new toys and took them for a test drive.

photo

That tiny Turkish spindle? It's so adorable I just want to keep it in my pocket and feed it M&Ms.

2 comments: