Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Maryland Sheep and Wool Roundup!

Maryland Sheep and Wool! It's awesome, as always. This year I went with Jenny Jo and another friend, Tracy. We bought things, we ate things, we watched things. One of the highlights for me this year was trying some new tools, in particular spinning wheels and accessories. I fell rather in love with the Pocket Wheel, and I was sorely tempted by the Woolee Winder, a spinning wheel accessory that winds the yarn evenly onto the bobbin, allowing you to spin without having to stop and adjust how the yarn is winding onto the bobbin. It means you can just spin, spin, spin, only having to stop to sip your adult beverage of choice. I was also very charmed by this antique loom that functions similarly to the inkle loom I was smitten by at Rhinebeck last year.
Untitled
There are animals to pet, of course. I discovered I really love Karakul sheep.
mosaic2
And sheepdogs.
Untitled
And tap dancing puppets. I love these.
Untitled
And shopping! Let's have a look-see at my haul.
mosaic1
There's two bullseye bumps from Loop, one from Spinabit (the camera can't capture the electricity of the blue, but I assure you, it's there, the stuff unicorn dreams are made of), a set of three from Hobbledehoy, a skein of yarn from Marigold Jen, and one from Miss Babs. If that last skein seems a little out of my color story, which may best be classified as "loud," it's because that skein is for husband socks, whose color story could best be classified as "light blue."
Plus I had to buy a spindle. The gorgeous spindle is made of Karelian birch and is a Bosworth. I love everything! I regret nothing!
Untitled
The other big huge new thing is that Jenny Jo and I picked out a fleece to split between the two of us. This is the first time either of us have taken such a big step in our spinning careers. I honestly have no intention of doing any of the processing of my half, and will happily ship it off so someone else can do the dirty work. It's a naturally colored merino fleece in an amazing gray from a sheep named Emma. Depending on what the finished fiber yield is from my half of the 7.5 pounds, I hope to make enough yarn for a vest or sweater. So exciting!
Untitled

1 comment:

  1. News on the fleece: I tried washing 8 oz, made a couple of batts, and sent the rest to Morro Fleece Works on Friday. :-)

    ReplyDelete